"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Friday, November 28, 2008

"welcome, have a seat, stay awhile"

This piece is a bit different than what I typically do, but I wanted to try something more graphic, bold, and clean-lined. A wall sculpture, it is crafted of wood. The chairs were painted with black gesso and finished with a hand-rubbed wax while the houses were textured with modeling paste and then painted and glazed with acrylics using multiple layers in coordinating colors. And while I love power tools as much as the next person (a lot more probably), these houses put up quite a fight. I hate, hate, hate cutting angled cuts on large blocks of wood. No matter whether I use the chop saw or the table saw, I think it's dangerous and it makes me nervous. So even though I have made other houses, this is definitely a one-of-a-kind piece. If I feel the need to make more of this type of house for a future piece, it will probably be in ceramic. Much less stressful for me. 

However - as is often the case, when working on this piece, an idea for another one oozed its way into my brain. It's nearly complete but all I'll say for now is that it will also feature a chair of the same style. I'll show it to you once it's done.

No comments: