"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

taking the leap

It had to happen eventually. Having started eight sculptures in the past couple months yet seemingly unable to finish a single one of them, I finally managed to complete one - and none too soon. The deadline for the Lancaster Museum of Art show was Sunday at 3 p.m. I got it there at 2:30. Would have been earlier in the day and would have been a different piece, but as I was putting the final, and I do mean final, touches on it, I broke it. Snapped a piece right off. Not wasting any time on regrets, I quickly finished the wall sculpture shown above. And as I drove it to the museum, it was still drying.

"Taking the Leap" is about moving forward and taking risks. Growing and changing. And while change sometimes seems dangerous, it often comes with great reward. For those breaking out of their shell, the risk of falling to the ground is outweighed by the reward of soaring.

As for the piece originally planned for the show, I think I'll start over. The idea is a good one and still worth pursuing. Referencing a quote from Winston Churchill, it makes a bit of a political statement which is unusual for me. Generally I stay away from that stuff. At the rate that sculptures are being completed lately it might be ready for next spring's show - if I'm lucky!

1 comment:

Sheltie Owner said...

Love it! I especially like the fact that you use a door knob as your jumping off point. Often we speak of going through a door of opportunity. But sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith off the door knob.

Bonnie