"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Saturday, January 3, 2009

a foretelling or predestination?

I've been thinking about what makes us like the things we do. Perhaps the things we're drawn to were ingrained in us at a very young age. This photo of my brother and I was taken when we lived in Michigan. Growing up, we would travel to Indiana to spend summer vacations at my grandmother's farm. I adored the sound of roosters crowing in the morning, flowers growing alongside vegetables in the garden, and playing in the barn. After moving here a few years ago, one of the first things I did was get my own poultry, with sheep following soon after - and I still love the smell of a barn full of fresh hay.

So, do I enjoy chickens and sheep so much because I was exposed to them at such an early age, or did I love them from the first, because that's just how I'm made? 

I could go either way on this one. 

1 comment:

Sheltie Owner said...

Nature or Nurture...the oldest argument in the book! I'm on the fence. I believe we have God-given talents (nature) that in the right circumstances come to the fore (nurture).

Bonnie