"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Thursday, January 29, 2009

oh my ears and whiskers!

"Oh my ears and whiskers how late it's getting!"

Do you know that line? It was uttered by the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland because he was late for a meeting with the Duchess. In the spirit of all things Alice, here is a looking glass I did for the show at City Folk which will open Friday, February 6 - just one week from tomorrow. For a tiny little preview, check out their web site. The opening reception is from 5 - 9 p.m. And don't worry about being late, the Duchess won't be there.

Addendum: After having this hanging in my house since yesterday, I couldn't stand it anymore and I took off the carrots. They just caused the whole piece to veer dangerously close (maybe/probably even crossing over the line) to a "ducks-in-bonnets" aesthetic, which makes me vaguely nauseous. For now I'll leave on the heart, but what I think the piece really needs is a scruffy vintage pocket watch. I may have to go to an antique store tomorrow or Sunday to see if I can hunt one up.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I like your pocket watch idea! Though I do like the carrots too. :) I will work to do a picture tutorial this week on how to drill a hole in a rock. Thanks for the idea! Do get you started though, I am using diamond tipped drill bits made for drills such as a Dremel.