"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Thursday, October 30, 2008

we have wool!

After waiting literally months, the three fleeces that were sent off for processing have finally returned as yarn and roving. The yarn is from Jack (aka Jack-In-The-Pulpit), a shetland sheep, and since this was his first shearing at 1 year of age, it is technically shetland lambswool, which was spun to a sport-weight yarn. Quite soft, let me tell you. The black and the white roving pictured above are from the babydoll lambs, Rosebud and Mayapple. They have a shorter length of wool and so the spinning machines could not handle it. I'm told it will work very nicely for hand spinners. All three of these are naturally occurring colors as found on the sheep - no dyes, chemical or otherwise. 
During the open studio tour, in addition to art I'll also have a small area where I will be displaying farm products such as the wool, which will be for sale. I'll post more about the other stuff tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! Isn't fiber so much fun?! I am volunteering at Wooly Knob Fiber Mill right now learning all about the processing. Are you going to knit or crochet any of your yarn? Do you spin your roving or use it for felting?

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Isn't it a small world? Wooly Knob is who did my processing for me. I don't really knit or crochet much at all, so I'll probably end up selling everything. But if a skein of Jack's yarn doesn't sell, I might try to make a hat or something. It would be pretty cool to wear a garment made from fiber produced from my own animals. I don't spin at all, so I won't be keeping any roving. I can see how people get sucked into spinning, though, because I'd love to see the yarn the babydoll roving would make.

Sharon Gilligan said...

pretty cool!