"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Thursday, August 14, 2008

clay, fresh milk, and covered bridges

On Thursday afternoons, a group meets at the Octorara Art Association to work with clay. This is a medium I've been exploring in my mixed media sculptures and so today I headed off once again to go play in the mud. Along the way, I pass a dairy farm with a sign advertising fresh milk, cheese, eggs and beef. I'm used to seeing stands selling baked goods or produce, but this is a bit unique, so I decide to stop in. What a find! Not only do they have whole raw, unpasturized, unhomoginized milk, but they also have grassfed beef! Imagine, milk that the cream actually separates from. The way it was meant to be. I immediately bought a half gallon with thoughts of home made ice cream and butter. From this one jug, I can have heavy cream, half and half, whole milk, skim milk, or any combination thereof. What flexibility! Maybe next week I'll stop in and get some of their cheese or a nice cut of beef for dinner. mmmmmmm.
On to the art association. The clay group was great as usual, with a lot of friendly chatting and also some work getting done. I'm working on a set of earthenware checkers in the shape of eggs on nests. I'll post a photo when I'm done. Next to the building where we meet is the Octorara creek. All summer a construction crew has been dismantling, improving, and rebuilding the covered bridge that crosses the creek. As you can see, they are almost done. There aren't that many covered bridges left and it's nice to see one being preserved.

No comments: