"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Friday, August 29, 2008

signs in southern lancaster county

It's not everywhere you'll see a sign like this one, but what a kind gesture on the part of the farm owner! They weren't selling anything else, merely offering water for their fellow amishman's hot and thirsty horses on a hot day. Sort of made me wish I were driving a buggy so I could take advantage of this small kindness. 

"When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one and a flower with the other... for the loaf feeds the body, but the flower feeds the soul." Chinese proverb

While many farm stands offer food for the body, here was one offering food for the soul. There is something so special about having fresh cut flowers in the house. A small beauty that brings so much pleasure. While I did have peonies and irises this spring, I didn't plant any cutting flowers for the summer. I think I will next year - maybe some zinnias and small sunflowers.

No comments: