"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."  Robert Henri

Saturday, August 16, 2008

farm stands

One of the things I love about where I live is the abundance of locally grown fresh food. There is something special about preparing and eating produce that was just picked that morning at the peak of ripeness. There is a rhythm to the seasons that can be enhanced by the appreciation of seasonal foods, if you'll let yourself feel it. And since I can't grow everything myself (nor do I really want to), I enjoy supporting the local farmers. This morning I stopped at a stand not far from my house for the best Red Haven peaches. Later, I'll make peach pie and home-made ice cream (from that fresh milk I bought). Maybe that's what I'll have for dinner. Yum.
Fresh Peach Pie
4 Cups peeled and sliced peaches
3 Tablespoons Clear Jell (or instant tapioca)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1.5 Tablespoons butter
Mix everything except the butter in a large bowl. Allow to sit for 15 minutes while you prepare the crust and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Use your favorite crust recipe*. Fill the crust with the fruit mixture, dot with the butter, add a top crust, pinch the edges, cut some steam vents, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 50 minutes. 
*I have to say that the Pillsbury rolled up pie crust in the grocery store's refrigerated section is really quite good, so for any of you who don't make pies because making a crust is a hassle, you no longer have any excuses!

Home Made Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup sugar or honey (I like honey best)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half and half or light cream
6 large egg yolks
Combine cream and half&half in saucepan and bring to a simmer.
In the meantime, combine egg yolks and sugar/honey in a bowl and whisk together.
Whisk 1/2 of the hot cream into the egg mixture a little at a time.
Pour egg mixture into pan with remaining cream.
Stir constantly over low heat just until slightly thickened, remove immediately from heat.
Pour through strainer into clean bowl and add vanilla.
Chill until cold or overnight.
Freeze in an ice cream maker and serve immediately as soft serve or store in freezer for up to a week.

No comments: